Skip to main content

Recipe: Leftover Rice

Since Ma & Abah left for Umrah, I had to take over the kitchen. Preparing meals was never bored to me. I enjoyed playing in the kitchen, mixing up spices which I have no idea what the taste would turn out...and serve them to my brothers =)

So,  I've been the chef in these few days and I could see lotsa leftover food to be taken care of- especially rice. Hmm..they don't eat as much rice as they did nowadays, everyone is trying hard to cut down the calories.

As for that, I've been Googling and asking around some friends and relatives on ideas to reuse the cooked rice. We don't want to waste food, do we? When the other end of the world is starving, waiting for people to send them some healthy food.

Note: Before cooking, it is important to assure that the leftover rice is still safe to eat. How? By the colour, smell and taste.

Below are 3 simple recipes that we can try out to save from wasting our precious rice.


Recipe #1 : Rice Porridge

Google for recipe =)

Recipe #2: Rice crackers

Instead of using rice flour, we can actually over cook the rice again by adding more water, till the rice gets mushy. Add in few spoons of flour so that it'll be a dough, and start adding nuts or flavour of your choice. Roll the dough to thin sheet (shape as you wish) and bake in the over for few minutes.

Here's a link for some ideas. Thank you for sharing Ivy!

Recipe #3: Cucur Nasi

Hmm..I have a trouble with translating the word "cucur" but generally it means frying dough. Like doughnut, a dough is deep fry. But we don't call doughnut - "cucur". We still call it doughnut, the term "cucur" only applies to dough with no specific shape- we either scoop by hand or spoon.

Since its going to be a trouble to find the recipe in English, let me just briefly tell about it.

Its a dish where our folks love to make in their younger days, either for breakfast or tea. Its so easy as 1-2-3 that we inherit the recipe =)

1. Mix a cup of wheat flour with 1 1/2 cup of water.
2. Add some salt, anchovies and Onions.
Note: Make use the mixture is not too watery, just mushy so that it won't absorb too much oil.If its watery like, add some more flour.
3. Then, deep fry till its golden brown.

Done!!

BUT, as for Cucur Nasi (rice), use the leftover rice. Boil the rice till it melts (porridge like). Let it cool for a while. Add some flour (some love to add a pinch of baking powder as well so that it looks spongy) so that it'll become more stiff. Then add on ingredients to flavour the cucur like anchovies, onions, chillies or black pepper. And lastly, deep fry till golden brown.

Serve while hot and dip in sauce (chillie or tomato).

Walla!

Talking about food makes my stomach grumbles =)

Till then, let's try these recipes when we have leftover rice.
Membazir itukan sahabat syaitan...

Popular posts from this blog

Writing Again

Assalamualaikum... After 3 years of abandoning this blog, I'm here again. Reading all the posts. How things have changed. Some of the posts made me smile, some brought tears as they remind me of such events, some sounded selfish and arrogant.Sorry. What led me to write again? ...so that I can share ...so that those who might be in the same situation as I am currently in knows that they are not alone sometimes, we do have that lonely time where reading helps..right? ...so that I could somehow inspire I could you know... ...so that I could reflect This blog has somehow bring me back to the past. Can u imagine that its actually 8 years old?? I could read my past. thought. feelings. behaviour. ... so that I can have a healthy way of expressing myself healthier than food. Don't you think so? ...so that neurons in my brain are well connected b'cause writing on blogs need us to think (well, I do). Think of whether its appropriate to share to public o

A sunnah: Honey

"Look who's back       Back again.." -eminem- Yes, I'm back! Back tapping the letters :) Since last Ramadhan I've been consuming honey regularly every morning and Alhamdulillah (praise to Allah) my asthma is very well in control. I'm no longer depending on Symbicort ( a drug recommended by Brother 1) and Ventolin is just on standy. But since honey is my breakfast, the inhaler is just as part of my handbag fillers, perhaps its beyond the expiry date ( I should check on that).  #1: Why did I choose honey?        -Because it was part of the sunnahs.        - The last time I had really bad attacks (everyday!!!) honey was the most effective reliever.  #2: Why did I start consuming it again?       - Because its part of sunnah :)          (am I repeating my answer??)               - Since I heard the book by a reverter on "Rasulallah is my doctor" by Jerry D Gray. I've only heard          about the book. Still hunting for t

Vietnam with the girls

Assalamualaikum and Hi The first thing came to my head just now was ...." ha..dah lama tak update blog" So, lets not talk about that ;) Referring to the topic, yup I went to Vietnam last 2 weeks with my college friends. We were there for 3 days and 2 nights celebrating our 9th year of friendship (who would have thought we could last that longgg??) Alhamdulillah. It was so much fun!! We wanted to fly back to Vietnam just as we landed in KL! Lets see some of the pictures ;) Our coasters. Rase macam artis jemputan.huhu shell painting factory something in the city (we didnt get to walk around the city) by the road Mei mei (Our Mekong tourist guide.We gave her that name) Boat house Our luxury boat! Local fruits ( Mcm Malaysia jgak. buat2 kagum je nii) Mekong river  Owh.. and one  of the most important event was... Shopping! Dah all girls, wajib la pegi tempat ni and borong Baju Kurung. This was Danny's Place.Spe