Skip to main content

My name is Maryam...A'dilla


When I was in primary schools, back in the year 1993 to 1998, many of the friends used to tease my name. Rather than Maryam, they would call me MERIAM (which means cannonball in Bahasa Melayu). I was of course hurt by it. Not that I was fat like a cannonball or fiery, they just love to tease. Well, kids. But anyhow my ears were just too thick to listen to the calls that the annoyance faded with time.

Once, I used to ask my parents, “Why did you guys named me Maryam?” and their reasons were very simple, “because your midwife was called Miriam”...”and Maryam is a name that is mentioned in the Quran”. How beautiful. I was named after the name stated in the Quran and also to reminisce the day I was borned, they named me after my midwife (perhaps they were over joyed to have a baby girl in the family). Alhamdulillah, I have a great name.

Maryam is the name of the Prophet Isa’s mother. She was chosen by Allah to carry Isa in her womb without a husband or even getting married. This is an easy task for Allah for He is Al-Kahliq (the Creator). She was a very pious and an obedient Muslim women that it is mentioned in the Quran the angels said Allah chose Maryam and preferred her to the other women of the world ( Al-Imran: 42-43).

MashaAllah.

Then came my teen years in the year 1999 up to the new millennium years, they say. This was the time when MIRC and chat rooms were mushrooming in the internet, where everyone would be busy in front of the PC or laptop connecting with others at the other half of the globe, or perhaps it was just the neighbour next to his/her house. Those who do not chat or involve in cyber chatting world were considered as “not cool”. Hehe. I was one of the “cool” person, I chatted like everyone else (hey, who doesn’t want to be cool?).

As a teenager, connecting with friends was very important to me. It was to establish good understanding and a platform to share common interests so that we could become better friends, so that we’ll be on the same wave length, and maybe a little bit more than a friend, if it was a boy.huhu.Owh..those teen years. YET, I have never consider to have a “special boyfriend” during that time since I hold to the belief that “I have enough boys in the family and special boyfriend will only be existed when I’m ready to get married”. I would say it was platonic relationship.

Since chatting was one of the ways to be seen as “cool”, I would always introduce myself as Adilla rather than Maryam. Well, during that time I see Maryam as a conventional name, whereas Adilla is waaayyy more modern (“we live in modern world, who would want a ‘kampung’ name”, this was how I see it back then. Astaghfirullah). But the fact is, that I did not realize during my younger years, both of my names have their own significant-Maryam and Adilla. Both carry great importance in everybody’s life. Yes, EVERYONE.

Maryam as I mentioned above, is the verification of the existence of Allah, the Creator. HE is able to create from none to one, and more. HE is Al-Kahliq. Whilst A’dilla which derives from the word ‘Adl, is also one of the attributes of Allah, the Just. “HE is the most just judge who shows justice to His servants in this world and beyond”, said Harun Yahya. However, Allah’s attribute like Justice is not to compare with human concept of justice because “to err is human”, as for Allah, He is never wrong- because He is Allah, the Only God.

The importance of these two names is placed at their role as a reminder that we, the human beings, are creations of Allah, we are the ‘abd and we need to know the responsibilities that we carry.

It seems like my parents had really done their job in giving me a good name, with the hope I would grow as a good person, someone who could serve Allah just like Maryam and be justice, to bring harmony and balance (perhaps) everyday. I hope too.

So, what is my name?

My name is Maryam A’dilla =)

Popular posts from this blog

Writing Again

Assalamualaikum... After 3 years of abandoning this blog, I'm here again. Reading all the posts. How things have changed. Some of the posts made me smile, some brought tears as they remind me of such events, some sounded selfish and arrogant.Sorry. What led me to write again? ...so that I can share ...so that those who might be in the same situation as I am currently in knows that they are not alone sometimes, we do have that lonely time where reading helps..right? ...so that I could somehow inspire I could you know... ...so that I could reflect This blog has somehow bring me back to the past. Can u imagine that its actually 8 years old?? I could read my past. thought. feelings. behaviour. ... so that I can have a healthy way of expressing myself healthier than food. Don't you think so? ...so that neurons in my brain are well connected b'cause writing on blogs need us to think (well, I do). Think of whether its appropriate to share to public o

A sunnah: Honey

"Look who's back       Back again.." -eminem- Yes, I'm back! Back tapping the letters :) Since last Ramadhan I've been consuming honey regularly every morning and Alhamdulillah (praise to Allah) my asthma is very well in control. I'm no longer depending on Symbicort ( a drug recommended by Brother 1) and Ventolin is just on standy. But since honey is my breakfast, the inhaler is just as part of my handbag fillers, perhaps its beyond the expiry date ( I should check on that).  #1: Why did I choose honey?        -Because it was part of the sunnahs.        - The last time I had really bad attacks (everyday!!!) honey was the most effective reliever.  #2: Why did I start consuming it again?       - Because its part of sunnah :)          (am I repeating my answer??)               - Since I heard the book by a reverter on "Rasulallah is my doctor" by Jerry D Gray. I've only heard          about the book. Still hunting for t

Vietnam with the girls

Assalamualaikum and Hi The first thing came to my head just now was ...." ha..dah lama tak update blog" So, lets not talk about that ;) Referring to the topic, yup I went to Vietnam last 2 weeks with my college friends. We were there for 3 days and 2 nights celebrating our 9th year of friendship (who would have thought we could last that longgg??) Alhamdulillah. It was so much fun!! We wanted to fly back to Vietnam just as we landed in KL! Lets see some of the pictures ;) Our coasters. Rase macam artis jemputan.huhu shell painting factory something in the city (we didnt get to walk around the city) by the road Mei mei (Our Mekong tourist guide.We gave her that name) Boat house Our luxury boat! Local fruits ( Mcm Malaysia jgak. buat2 kagum je nii) Mekong river  Owh.. and one  of the most important event was... Shopping! Dah all girls, wajib la pegi tempat ni and borong Baju Kurung. This was Danny's Place.Spe